New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solent Sky,Southampton

View previous topic View next topic Go down
OAGEY

Spotter Watch Member : No

Solent Sky,Southampton Vide
PostSubject: Solent Sky,Southampton Solent Sky,Southampton Empty2009-08-13, 14:47

While on hioliday in the New Forest recently,the family wanted a day out in Southampton so I though I'd factor in my first visit to this museum....& very impressed I was

The largest aircraft in the collection was the Short Sandringham,and this aircraft triggered a very early aviation memory for me when as a mere 10 year old I was on Hengistbury Head,near Bournemouth on a family holiday with Mum,Dad and brother.All of a sudden we heard a very loud aero-engine noise and lo-&-behold this very aircraft rose from below cliff-height just off the coast......sadly Dad has just been diagnosed with Terminal Cancer so the first two pictures are dedicated to him

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009144

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009143

Dad,when the time comes,make sure you keep a place for me at the end of God's runway....................

On with the rest............

Britten-Norman BN-1F(one-off design from the team who gave us the Islander)

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009138

Mignet HM14 Pou de Ciel(Flying Flea)..an early attempt at homebuilding

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009145

Slingsby Cadet RAF Air Training Corps glider

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009150

.....& in company with a Slingsby T31 and a Link Trainer

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009151

SUMPAC pedal powered glider

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009153

Saunders Roe SRA 1 jet fighter flying boat

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009154

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009156

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009157

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009161

DH Sea Vixen FAW 2

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009166

Folland Gnat F1(original light fighter version which served with distinction with Finnish and Indian Air Forces)

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009165

Saunders Roe Skeeter

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009180

Supermarine Spitfire F24(one of the last off the production line

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009132

...& the inspiration for the Spitfire,the record breaking Supermarine S6B(this particular aircraft set a new World Air Speed record in 1930...the first to fly over 400 mph)

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009177

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009176

Finally a selection of aircraft parts recovered from local WW2 crash sites......

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009169

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009170

Solent Sky,Southampton Holiday2009172

Thanks for looking,and make sure you visit this museum...doesn't get too much publicity,but certainloy deserves it

Colin
Abingdon Air & Country Show
www.abingdonfayre.com

Oxfordshire Aviation Group
Back to top Go down
GOOSE
GOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Solent Sky,Southampton Solent Sky,Southampton Empty2009-08-13, 15:22

What a fantastic museum, fantastic photos and a lovely and moving tribute to your Father.

Please accept the regards of all at Fighter Control. With respect, Goose.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
OAGEY

PostSubject: Re: Solent Sky,Southampton Solent Sky,Southampton Empty2009-09-15, 00:16

Just to let you know that my father Charles Peter(Charlie) Smith passed away at 1045 pm on the evening of Monday 14th September following an appx 3 month struggle against lung cancer

The 73 yr old former Boshers painter(and National Service RAF airman) was well known throughout the Wallingford area...if you know anyone who knew him please feel free to pass on the news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No date has yet been set for the funeral which will be a cremation at Oxford followed by internment at St Agatha's Church,Brightwell-cum-Sotwell(Dad's home village and where he & Mum were married)

Yet to be confirmed but it is expected to be Family Flowers only,please but a donation to the MacMillan nurses,c/o Chadwicks Funeral Directors of Crowmarsh Gifford would be appreciated

Rest in Piece Dad and see you on God's Great Airfield when my time comes

many thanks for all your thoughts and kind wishes
Colin
Back to top Go down
The Cameraman

PostSubject: Re: Solent Sky,Southampton Solent Sky,Southampton Empty2009-09-15, 12:16

Hi Colin,

sorry to read the news about your father.

I'll raise a glass to him tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solent Sky,Southampton Solent Sky,Southampton Empty

Back to top Go down

Solent Sky,Southampton

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Photography & Art :: Warbirds -