New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The mound.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Flaps
Flaps

Spotter Watch Member : No

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-13, 13:09

I am personally sick to death of photography opportunities being taken away at RAF bases,most of the problems seem to arise from some military "enthusiasts" acting like wild animals.
If you know the names of these idiots then let the Mods know and we WILL BAN them NOW.
Back to top Go down
PR9

PR9

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-13, 17:18

A notice reminding people not to do this (blatantly stupid) action may have to go up alongside the other spotters notices about parking/litter etc.

Only takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone else. Glare
Back to top Go down
milky01

milky01

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-14, 14:29

I would like to put on record the two guys in the pics on the ladders, Were not walking in the crops,lighting fires or blocking the access to the field, But had the ladders on the fence.

Hope this clears any misunderstanding.

Cheers Kevin.
Back to top Go down
http://www.milky01.piczo.com
TEEJ

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-15, 13:09

Ref those who park in the farmers field at the 25 end. A possible solution would be a 'no parking' sign attached to the fence. Once the car parking bay is full then people just assume it is ok to park in the field by the fence. One person parks and then everyone else follows like sheep.

Signage would keep everything above board and deter most from parking there. The sign would also re-enforce those who see it happening and decide to challenge. The problem will never go away until there is official signage up on the fence in the field.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Beefsteak

Beefsteak

Spotter Watch Member : Yes

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 08:40

TEEJ wrote:
Ref those who park in the farmers field at the 25 end. A possible solution would be a 'no parking' sign attached to the fence. Once the car parking bay is full then people just assume it is ok to park in the field by the fence. One person parks and then everyone else follows like sheep.

Signage would keep everything above board and deter most from parking there. The sign would also re-enforce those who see it happening and decide to challenge. The problem will never go away until there is official signage up on the fence in the field.

TJ

Why should any body pay out for signage to remind other people to use their common sense ??
I mean would you pay out ,personally, for a sign saying "Please don't trap your fingers in my gate as you leave my property"
(I know that's a pretty daft example but it's all I could think of on the spur of the moment !!)
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 09:01

This problem will always re occur. It was put forward that where people have cut holes in the fence that signs be cable tied over the holes. However it was pointed out that the sign would have to be in various languages.

So a rather large sign would be covering more fencing.

Glad to see that Spotterwatch is working.

It would be interesting know of the main offender puts his ladder on the fence at Wittmund.
Back to top Go down
http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com
thebluebeard

thebluebeard

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 09:09

On the subject of the mound and signs.

I witnessed a male standing all alone on top of the mound yesterday, despite the fact there was a sign, that in doing so he put himself in mortal danger.

The sign?

Several fierce active thunderstorns with fork lightning strikes clearly and closely active overhead. Should he have been struck, maybe his incinerated corpse could have been left as a 'sign', which would have required no text by way of explanations. I was even able to identify him and name his type without difficulty or any other signage. Hey Ho Roll Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.lincs2locations.co.uk
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 09:23

That male was obviously a hardcore spotter.
Back to top Go down
thebluebeard

thebluebeard

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 09:41

I didn't have the courage to tell him the airfield was effectively closed for the duration of the storms. Thought he might have latched onto that bit Sad I also didn't have the courage to tell him he was the highest object for several yards around too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lincs2locations.co.uk
TEEJ

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 12:10

Beefsteak wrote:
TEEJ wrote:

TJ

Why should any body pay out for signage to remind other people to use their common sense ??
I mean would you pay out ,personally, for a sign saying "Please don't trap your fingers in my gate as you leave my property"
(I know that's a pretty daft example but it's all I could think of on the spur of the moment !!)

Unless a sign goes up then the problem will not go away. People don't use their common sense. If they turn up to the end of 25 and find all the parking bay full up they will automatically seek an alternative. Obviously most people will think twice about parking on double yellow lines, but not about driving into the field. The problem arises when others follow like sheep. They see people by the fence line and cars parked in the field. Obviously they think this is OK and drive into the field to park. There is nothing to instruct them that it is not OK. That is the point I am trying to make.

The sign could be arranged via the Spotter Watch Scheme. I would imagine that the base has plenty of no parking signs, but these are probably large metal ones. Being metal it would be gone in a flash what with all the metal thefts about?

These idiots will steal anything they can get their hands on.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/horncastle/news/Caught-second-raid-bomb-dump/article-1043254-detail/article.html

The F-15 deployment will attract a lot of people. The info from here has already been posted on Scramble on the web. Lakenheath has rather restricted photographic points unlike Coningsby. All it takes is runway 25 to be in use and watch how busy it will get. It is only a tiny parking bay. Unless the Crash Gate area is coned off people will park in there and also into the field.

As Kevin has stated there is serious danger of both ends being closed off completely. The farmers have bent over backwards to allow use of their land and the lure of the F-15s could be the breaking point for them. Unless the field is either coned off during the deployment or a sign goes up then people will still attempt to park in the field.

One solution is that the regulars at Coningsby or the Spotter Watch Scheme start a collection as a gesture of goodwill. A pound or two would provide the funds for a sign to deter those parking in the field. Think of the consequences if the farmer decides to close off the field to pedestrians? It will be busy when the F-15s deploy and if the field is used as a car park then it might just be the last straw for the farmer? (No pun intended!)

Any members of Scramble on the web? I would suggest that the problem is highlighted on your forum too. Once the 25 end parking bay is full that is it for parking. No parking in the farmers field or blocking the Crash Gate entrance.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Street Hawk
Admin
Admin
Street Hawk

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 12:35

Mitigating, Andrew Goldsborough told the court Clausen and Walsh had not realised it was a RAF compound they had broken into.

Er hello..... Large compound with funny concrete shaped buildings, with a high security fence and concrete roads next to a large RAF base... Mmmm Crying . If only it was an American Air Base. Those guys would never be seen again... Secret
Back to top Go down
Focal_Plane

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 12:42

TEEJ wrote:
Beefsteak wrote:
TEEJ wrote:

TJ

Unless a sign goes up then the problem will not go away. People don't use their common sense. If they turn up to the end of 25 and find all the parking bay full up they will automatically seek an alternative. Obviously most people will think twice about parking on double yellow lines, but not about driving into the field. The problem arises when others follow like sheep. They see people by the fence line and cars parked in the field. Obviously they think this is OK and drive into the field to park. There is nothing to instruct them that it is not OK. That is the point I am trying to make.

The sign could be arranged via the Spotter Watch Scheme. I would imagine that the base has plenty of no parking signs, but these are probably large metal ones. Being metal it would be gone in a flash what with all the metal thefts about?

These idiots will steal anything they can get their hands on.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/horncastle/news/Caught-second-raid-bomb-dump/article-1043254-detail/article.html

The F-15 deployment will attract a lot of people. The info from here has already been posted on Scramble on the web. Lakenheath has rather restricted photographic points unlike Coningsby. All it takes is runway 25 to be in use and watch how busy it will get. It is only a tiny parking bay. Unless the Crash Gate area is coned off people will park in there and also into the field.

As Kevin has stated there is serious danger of both ends being closed off completely. The farmers have bent over backwards to allow use of their land and the lure of the F-15s could be the breaking point for them. Unless the field is either coned off during the deployment or a sign goes up then people will still attempt to park in the field.

One solution is that the regulars at Coningsby or the Spotter Watch Scheme start a collection as a gesture of goodwill. A pound or two would provide the funds for a sign to deter those parking in the field. Think of the consequences if the farmer decides to close off the field to pedestrians? It will be busy when the F-15s deploy and if the field is used as a car park then it might just be the last straw for the farmer? (No pun intended!)

Any members of Scramble on the web? I would suggest that the problem is highlighted on your forum too. Once the 25 end parking bay is full that is it for parking. No parking in the farmers field or blocking the Crash Gate entrance.

TJ

I totally agree with this.

If we all had common sense, we wouldn`t have people leaning ladders (not steps), on the top barbed wire - like last week

If we all had common sense, we wouldn`t have people double parking on the main road or in the crash-gate - like last week

If we all had common sense, we wouldn`t have signs asking spotters to take their litter home.

Some additional signs might just help, although I`d be the first to admit that those people who think its still OK to park in front of the crash gate are probably beyond redemption!.

I for one would be willing to put my hand in my pocket and I think TJ has made some positive suggestions. Decrying someone (Beefsteak), on the assumption that everyone views this isssue in the same miopic way, is just a waste of time and effort. Most enthusiasts have paid thousands of pounds for their camera equipment, but what price do you put on the loss of these locations? The RAF has been very tolerant of people using steps and the local land owners, of people using their land. As Terry said, here we are back in the same situation as two years ago; certain people abusing things with no regard for others.

I dispare really, it should be a matter of "common sense", but I fear the worst.
Back to top Go down
polecat29sqn

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-16, 13:52

Hi All
I ve been a regular local at Coningsby for a number of years and personally i find all the guys up there are pretty responsible, i think the thing is with less airfields been very active theres going to be a lot more interest in Coningsby .
When the F3s were present you hardly saw many spotters , now its a different case , ive met some great guys up there and enjoy helping people out regarding serials and so on. I really think this is getting blown out of proportion its a great base just enjoy the hobby and just respect the accesses.

Garf
Back to top Go down
tailslides

tailslides

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 03:06

thebluebeard wrote:
I didn't have the courage to tell him the airfield was effectively closed for the duration of the storms. Thought he might have latched onto that bit Sad I also didn't have the courage to tell him he was the highest object for several yards around too.

Darwin already worked out the theory, please let natural selection take it's course Wink
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 04:27

Apologies if this is already in hand. I presume that the farmers/land owners have been informed of the U.S. deployment? It would give them a chance to decide what to do in advance. Even with the Italian Typhoon deployment people were still parking in the field at the 25 end. Think what it is going to be like with the lure of the F-15s?

Surely something can be worked out with the base? Steve (iskra750) does the base have any spare no parking signs that could be utilised by the farmer during the deployment? Even a string of cones would help out the farmer.

It is the same old story but nothing is ever done about it. Of course people should use their common sense, but it never happens that way. Unless something is done the field at the 25 end is just going to fill up with cars.

It has been going on for years now and still enthusiasts don't pay attention to the viewing guide warning.

"do NOT drive your car into the farmer's field at point M - if the farmer sees any more cars parked here he will block off this field entirely and one of the best spots for photography will be lost!"

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/spotting/coningsby.html

The same goes for the Crash Gate area at the 25 end. Unless it is coned or mine taped off during lengthy deployments people will still park in it.

The other problem is Joe Public driving by and seeing the activity. A stream of F-15s taking off in burner or landing is going to get their attention. If there is a line of traffic at the lights then the temptation is to drive into the field to park up and block the entrance.

It shouldn't have to be this way, but a little bit of mine tape/a sign will stop or deter a small minority spoiling it for the majority.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Flying figgis

Flying figgis

Spotter Watch Member : Yes I am!

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 04:53

TEEJ wrote:
Apologies if this is already in hand. I presume that the farmers/land owners have been informed of the U.S. deployment? It would give them a chance to decide what to do in advance. Even with the Italian Typhoon deployment people were still parking in the field at the 25 end. Think what it is going to be like with the lure of the F-15s?

Surely something can be worked out with the base? Steve (iskra750) does the base have any spare no parking signs that could be utilised by the farmer during the deployment? Even a string of cones would help out the farmer.

It is the same old story but nothing is ever done about it. Of course people should use their common sense, but it never happens that way. Unless something is done the field at the 25 end is just going to fill up with cars.

It has been going on for years now and still enthusiasts don't pay attention to the viewing guide warning.

"do NOT drive your car into the farmer's field at point M - if the farmer sees any more cars parked here he will block off this field entirely and one of the best spots for photography will be lost!"

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/spotting/coningsby.html

The same goes for the Crash Gate area at the 25 end. Unless it is coned or mine taped off during lengthy deployments people will still park in it.

The other problem is Joe Public driving by and seeing the activity. A stream of F-15s taking off in burner or landing is going to get their attention. If there is a line of traffic at the lights then the temptation is to drive into the field to park up and block the entrance.

It shouldn't have to be this way, but a little bit of mine tape/a sign will stop or deter a small minority spoiling it for the majority.

TJ

Good point TEEJ!
Back to top Go down
http://www.yourstressmanager.co.uk
DOUGHNUT

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 04:54

Quote "I totally agree with this. If we all had common sense, "

....The RAF would open up the crash gate at 25 and charge £5 to park there, no need for signs, cones, police issuing parking tickets, angry farmers, Germans carrying ladders, Dutchmen cuttings holes in the fence. Just 200ft of rope and someone to collect the money.
Back to top Go down
mattyAjessop

mattyAjessop

Spotter Watch Member : Nope

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 05:08

Thumbs Up
DOUGHNUT wrote:
Quote "I totally agree with this. If we all had common sense, "

....The RAF would open up the crash gate at 25 and charge £5 to park there, no need for signs, cones, police issuing parking tickets, angry farmers, Germans carrying ladders, Dutchmen cuttings holes in the fence. Just 200ft of rope and someone to collect the money.
Back to top Go down
Snafu

Snafu

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 07:02

The challenge during F15 deployment will be getting up earlier enough to get to CBY and bagging a safe parking spot. The other challenge is where you plonk yourself when you get there in order to maximise the benefits as once you're in situ you aren't going to be going too far!! I think it'll be a different spot every day and then all angles should be covered. Do you guys think the F15's will be deployed in the South and East HAS areas?
Back to top Go down
mattyAjessop

mattyAjessop

Spotter Watch Member : Nope

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 07:15

Snafu wrote:
The challenge during F15 deployment will be getting up earlier enough to get to CBY and bagging a safe parking spot. The other challenge is where you plonk yourself when you get there in order to maximise the benefits as once you're in situ you aren't going to be going too far!! I think it'll be a different spot every day and then all angles should be covered. Do you guys think the F15's will be deployed in the South and East HAS areas?

Its a 20 min drive for me Razz

11 Sqn HAS site
Back to top Go down
TEEJ

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 11:28

Thanks for the supportive replies. Thanks Steve for taking the time to PM me.

Cheers

TJ
Back to top Go down
seeker33

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 12:20

I support what TEEJ is saying, and as a regular visitor who keeps to the rules at all times, I'm a bit brassed off that I'm probably going to find it tough to secure a parking space in the lay-by at the 25 end. I'll be trying to arrive early but it's a fair journey from North Yorkshire. Of course, if I get to the New York end and find the lay-by full, my response will be to go to another location and try my luck there. I won't compromise the recommendations just to get into my favoured viewing spot. I hope that all other visitors will follow this principal, but it's the selfish, occasional, unrestrained person who won't compromise, that risk spoiling the whole thing for all of us. I hope that some restrictions blocking unauthorised access can be in place too, even though it's a shame that people can't show courtesy and respect without it being legislated. Of course, I hope even more, that the day I visit, runway 08 is in use as the spotters car-park has more capacity and there's access to hot food!

It has also now dawned on me that I'm going to have to set-off at daft o'clock Crying
Back to top Go down
hightower150

Spotter Watch Member : no

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: F15`s The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 14:39

Hi guys don`t post much on here just tend to do alot of reading, but unfortunately i have been in hospital for a little while due to a collapsed lung and upon reading this thread have found out about the f15`s coming. Does anybody know when they are being deployed please so that i can organise getting over to see them. Thanks again if you can help.
Back to top Go down
seeker33

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-17, 16:17

Cheers See the 'latest rumours' board and the thread entitled 'F15's deploying to Coningsby'
Back to top Go down
LTFT5

LTFT5

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty2009-06-18, 01:56

Iam a regular at Coningsby and if I see the behaviour that has been described I speak to the individual concerned and explain why it is unacceptable. If that individual is rude or does not refrain from the behaviour I speak to them again warning that I will photograph them and inform the RAF Police. In thirty two years of spotting this has led to one punchup which on average isnt bad. Punch up was at Waddington, Dutch lad who took great exception to me telling him to get out of the crops.
We all have the power to challenge unacceptable behaviour at airfields or in society its just that we do not do it often enough. Iam in no way encouraging people to be vigilantes or put themselves in danger but if there is a group of you who find someones behaviour unacceptable challenge the individual together, on the whole you usually get a good response.
Has anybody discussed, or approached, the farmer at the 25 end to see if he would allow parking in the yard on the left hand side (opposite the field) for a parking fee. He could then put a sign out saying Spotters Carpark and the fee for a days parking. Could members on here carshare to Coningsby to reduce the number of cars trying to park as I usually see cars with just one person in. I for one will park in the village, take my bike out of the car, don a rucksack and bike to the locations I wish to photograph from.

APC Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The mound. - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The mound. The mound. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The mound.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 5 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: UK Military Airfields :: East Midlands :: RAF Coningsby -