New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Website  Reports/Articles  Frequencies/Callsigns  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2 Varsities at Sibson

View previous topic View next topic Go down
valiant

Spotter Watch Member : no

2 Varsities at Sibson Vide
PostSubject: 2 Varsities at Sibson 2 Varsities at Sibson Empty2009-06-07, 08:17

Hi, not sure if this is right section to post this question, but anyway, I was at Sibson in 1982 where I saw 2 Vickers Varsities in the red and white scheme, I know they are not there anymore so I wondered does anyone know the answers to any or all of the following questions :-

1) When did they arrive
2) Who purchased them
3) For what purpose
4) Which base did they come from
5) What happened to them and when did it happen

Hope to hear your answers soon, thanks very much
Back to top Go down
SCARECROW

SCARECROW

Spotter Watch Member : NO NEED

PostSubject: Re: 2 Varsities at Sibson 2 Varsities at Sibson Empty2009-06-07, 11:11

Saw them both in 86 but one of them moved to Brooklands, here's a clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkuMeIjNiKw&feature=PlayList&p=D60750C987B6AE0D&index=14
Back to top Go down
xm594

PostSubject: Re: 2 Varsities at Sibson 2 Varsities at Sibson Empty2009-06-07, 15:48

Hi, I think the other Varsity was broken up and the cockpit went to the Humberside area
cheers xm594
Back to top Go down
jamesg23

PostSubject: Re: 2 Varsities at Sibson 2 Varsities at Sibson Empty2009-06-08, 07:52

i have just asked my uncle about the other one and it was scrapped at sibson.
Back to top Go down
vulcanone

vulcanone

Spotter Watch Member : Not yet

PostSubject: Re: 2 Varsities at Sibson 2 Varsities at Sibson Empty2009-06-08, 10:08

valiant

They were both purchased from the RAF when they were retired in 1976, and flown from Finningley by the crews from 6 FTS who had just retired them from memory.

I don't know who actually paid for them but there was a plan to turn one into a clubhouse at Sibson, however they spent more time rotting away in the climate and were deemed to have eventually become unsafe and one was scrapped the other went to Brooklands

The old grey matter might have lost a few details along the waybut thats what happened roughly speaking....

Tim S
Back to top Go down
valiant

Spotter Watch Member : no

PostSubject: Re: 2 Varsities at Sibson 2 Varsities at Sibson Empty2009-06-08, 10:55

Thanks very much everyone for dusting off the memory banks , this one has been bugging me for years, cheers lads!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 Varsities at Sibson 2 Varsities at Sibson Empty

Back to top Go down

2 Varsities at Sibson

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Forum Online Now - www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ :: Demobbed :: Wrecks & Relics / Museums -